Friday, January 30, 2009

Potty Party!!!

Maddie woke up one morning in early January, walked over to the dresser, took off her diaper, and put on her Ariel underpants and said, "Maddie wants to wear big girl underpants." I was a little shocked and not sure what to do, but I went with it. I was thinking of potty training her using the concept in a book that my friend Mia recommended. You use a doll and "teach" the doll how to use the potty first, then teach the child, and when the child succeeds...you throw a potty party! There is a lot of planning involved for the day of the training/party and since Maddie decided on her own, I was less than prepared for this momentous day. But I started off with the concept of training the doll. So I sat the dolly down on the potty and said, "Maddie, let's show dolly how to use the potty!" And she said, "No Mommy, no dolly, Maddie's turn." And just like that, she sat down and did her business several times that day! I know it sounds weird to say this, but it actually was a lot of fun. We did nothing that day except play and go potty and it was nice to be able to praise her achievements, spend time together, and focus all my attention on her. That afternoon, we made a quick trip to Target (I was practically running through the store in fear of a public accident) and got a cake and decorations. Chris brought home some balloons and we had a potty party! She's been in big girl underpants ever since!




2 comments:

Mother Suburbia said...

What a great potty training story. Congratulations to Maddie, Mom and Dad. You know, however, what this means?? Time for another baby!

The Crabtrees said...

wow... congrats!!! I hope that it will be that easy with Abbie but I am guessing not!!!