Monday, February 09, 2009

A Story Worth Forgetting (but really I have to write it down)

I don't have enough time to write all about the on and off sleep battles that have been occurring in this house. As I mentioned in a previous post, we got desperate a few months ago and switched the lock on Maddie's door to be on the outside. She hated the baby gate and would not stay in her room for anything. We hadn't needed it lately, but in recent days Maddie has started exercising her freedom by not staying in her new big girl bed or her room at nap and bedtime. Apparently this is common for 2 year-olds. So to anyone reading this who has an older child, please tell me it's a short phase, and anyone with a younger one, good luck, I hope this a phase your child skips. Chris and I decided that we really didn't like the idea of locking the door anymore and wanted to work through these battles without using the lock. We began to wonder if that was part of her power struggle. Well Friday night was interesting.

Chris and I both were in her room, getting her settled for bed. She wasn't actually in bed yet, and like usual, she had to get something from another room so she ran out of her room. We sat there and together watched our 2 1/2 year old leave the room, close the door behind her and.....lock the door. Then we heard two more doors closing (our bedroom and our bathroom). Chris and I were locked in her room. Now I know what you're thinking....didn't we have a key in the room just in case? Nope. No key. We can't find one to our doors and they are turn locks, not push locks. At first we kind of laughed, then we kind of started to worry, then after about 5 minutes (which seemed like 30!) I was freaking out. Chris was very analytical, trying to figure out a way out (which there weren't any that didn't involve breaking down the door or climbing out the 3rd story window). I was worried about her, not knowing what she was getting into by herself in our bathroom, worried that we had no phone to call a neighbor, no tool to unlock the door, worried because she had the run of the house!!!!
After a few friendly "Maddie come here, please open the door." And a few unfriendly, "Madeline Eve get back here right now!!!", she finally came back. Needless to say, there is now a screwdriver hidden in her closet to remove the doorknob...just in case.

If these bedtime battles continue....you may see our family on an episode of Super Nanny. Let's hope not. One day Maddie, you will be reading this blog. This would be a good time to hug us and tell us you're sorry for all these shenanigans.

There is a really sweet book called, I Love You So... I recommend this book for all parents to read on days when you're not sure if you have enough patience to make it through the whole day. Here are my favorite parts:
"I love you." "How much?" "SO much." "How much is 'so'?" "WAY, WAY more than you know..."
"Do you love me EVERY day?" you ask with doubting awe, "or does love go up and down like a teetering see-saw?"
I love you as steady as the earth rounds the sun, though some days of life are the farthest from fun.
"Like when you feel mad?" you ask with distress, "cause I've broken the rules or made a big mess? Or when I'm unkind and your feelings are blue, do you love me although I do what I do?"
I love you being nice, and when you are cranky, too. I love you without liking the naughty things you do.
You're my sweetie, my dear, my smile and laughter. You're my playmate for always, and my joy ever after.
I can't imagine life before you came along...me there singing senseless, no meaning to my song. Call it meant to be or simply blessed fate, you fill my heart with love...and for that I celebrate.
"I love you." "How much?" "So much." "How much is 'so'?" "WAY WAY more than you know."

I have always said that I love being with Chris so much because he keeps life interesting and exciting. Looks like I now have two Moskal's in my life to keep it interesting and exciting. And I wouldn't trade either of them for anything in this whole wide world.

5 comments:

Nana Flo said...

What a story! You'd better hope Maddie doesn't read this and find that screwdriver! I believe she could!
You're raising an amazing child; never forget that.
Love you all,
Mom

Darcie said...

No Super Nanny needed when you have Super Mommy and Daddy!!! You are awesome! Love that book,have to buy it for all my friends :)

Mother Suburbia said...

I love the pictures that you post. She is a beautiful child!

Mia said...

Darcie, you could start out by buying it for me. No, just kidding, I'm getting it myself, tomorrow. It will probably save me money on therapy. :)

Kelly, I have not laughed that hard in a long time. I did not see her locking you two in the room coming, but I could so see that happening to me and Murphey.

You guys are the best!

Amy said...

Mia told me that I HAD to read your post, and she was right! That is a great story, I guess Maddie taught you a lesson that night :). Oh, the joys of parenting!