Thursday, September 17, 2009

First Week of Preschool

Anyone who knows me knows that I put a lot of thought into big decisions. Thorough analysis runs in my family. It's in my blood. So when it came time to decide on a preschool for Maddie, all factors were considered. Was it a clean, safe, fun place? What days would she go? Where is it? Will it work for both me and my mom to take her and pick her up? Etc., etc., etc. I was very pleased with our decision on a preschool and excited for her to start. It is a 2 day program, Mondays and Tuesdays from 9-12. My mom will do one day (I work on Mondays) and I will do the other. The location is centrally located between our house and my parents'. Perfect!!!

I hate to focus on the negative part of this first week of school, but her first day is one I'll never forget. Despite all my perfect planning, the first morning did not exactly go smoothly. I decided to take the morning off so that I could take her myself. It was a short day from 9-10:30 and she would meet her teacher, see the classroom and get acquainted. I had my mom meet us there since she'll be doing Monday preschool. The most direct route to the preschool is not the normal route I take in the mornings when I work because I always drop Madeline at my parents' house first. I anticipated traffic and left at 8:15, allowing 45 minutes to go 10 miles. It's Northern Virginia, there's lots of traffic. I HAVE NEVER SEEN TRAFFIC LIKE THIS IN MY 8 YEARS LIVING IN LEESBURG!!!! That morning it took me 1 hour and 25 minutes to go 10 miles! Maddie and I arrived 40 minutes late to her first day! I started getting upset on the phone with my mom who was giving me the play-by-play of what we were missing (which wasn't really much to tell the truth). Maddie could tell I was upset, so then she got upset and started weeping and saying, "Mommy, I'm sad that we can't get to my preschool." It was so pitiful. But long story short, I pulled myself together for her sake and when we got there, she caught up quickly and was very comfortable right away.

The second day I left at 7:45 and paid $4 to take the toll road and skip the traffic. We arrived with enough time to spare to go to Target nearby and we were still the first ones in the door once it opened! What's most important is that Madeline had a great time and so far seems to like it. I was warned that there would be tears when she goes to school, I just didn't think the tears would be over traffic! But in the grand scheme of things, I'd rather have us both shed a tear or two over traffic than have Maddie or me crying over leaving her there :)

2 comments:

Mother Suburbia said...

What a great first day of school story. I love the pictures. These are the makings of memories.

Jennie and Kevin said...

So cute!!! I love the backpack pics - she looks so grown up!